Margaret and Marion Gilmore
Written by Ruth Lee Lam
Margaret Devereux Gilmore was born in Vicksburg, MS. She was the first child born to Mr. James Joseph Devereux and Mary Mulvihill-Devereux. She was one of seven children. She had 3 brothers and 3 sisters. Margaret's father (J.J.Devereux) was born and raised in Columbia, South Carolina, her mother born and raised in Vicksburg, Mississippi. Mr. James Joseph Devereux moved to Monroe, LA to work for the Illinois Central Railroad as a boilermaker. Margaret’s maternal grandfather, M. J. Mulvihill was the postmaster in Vicksburg, MS and also owner of a dry goods store. Margaret spent most of her summers in Vicksburg, MS at Grandfather Mulvihill's home. It was easy for her to visit Grandfather and Grandmother Mulvihill because Margaret's family was allowed free passage on the Illinois Central Rail Road. The distance from her home in Monroe, LA to Vicksburg, MS was 77 miles. Margaret went to St. Matthew Parochial School and St. Matthew High School graduating first in her class in the early 1930's. She also graduated from a local junior college, Northeast Center of Louisiana State University. Presently it is the University of Louisiana at Monroe. She became employed at the sheriff's office in Ouachita Parish in Monroe LA in an administrative capacity.
Margaret's father always kept close ties with his Devereux kinfolk in Columbia, SC. His father owned a huge farm where Devereux Road now exists. He encouraged his children to visit their Devereux kin whenever possible. It was on one of these visits that Margaret met Marion Gilmore. After much written and verbal correspondence they were married on October 16, 1940 at her home in Monroe, LA. After a brief honeymoon in New Orleans, LA, they moved to Columbia, SC. Marion was employed by the Veterans Administration. However, when WWII was declared Marion enlisted in the U.S. Army and was sent to Saipan, largest island in the Northern Mariana Islands. Margaret was employed in 1941 at Ft. Jackson in Columbia with Dr Bule. She spent time with Marion during his assignments in California and New Mexico but returned to Monroe, LA to live while he served in Saipan. When the war ended they returned to Columbia, SC. Marion resumed his employment at the Veteran's Administration. Margaret then became employed by the Internal Revenue Service and retired after many years of service. In her retirement, she pursued many volunteer activities: volunteering for Providence Hospital, Meals on Wheels, docent at the Historic Columbia Foundation, Hampton Preston Mansion and reading to visually impaired residents when moving to Laurel Crest Continuing Care Retirement Community in 1995.
Margaret was very generous to her family members remembering them with monetary gifts while she was living and including additional gifts in her will. She also provided beneficent monetary donations to Providence Hospital, Laurel Crest Continuing Care Retirement Community, St. Joseph's Church in Columbia, St. Paul Church in Vicksburg, MS, and St. Matthew Church in Monroe, LA.
The endowment that Marion and Margaret Gilmore bequeathed to St. Joseph Church speaks of their commitment and desire to provide our parish with a beautiful building encompassing many various ministries and activities.
Below are some of the furnishings that belonged to Margaret Gilmore that were graciously donated by Ruth Lee and Carlos Lam.
Two Victorian chairs, a lady's chair and a gentleman's chair. The gentleman's chair has arm rests. The lady's chair does not have arm rests as this permits her to spread her dress out on either side of the chair. Large dresses with full skirts were the fashion of that time. Mrs. Gilmore acquired these two chairs from and antique dealer in the 1950's. They were in the living room of her home prior to her moving into a smaller apartment at Laurel Crest Continuing Care Retirement Community in May 2000.
The round oak marble top table was purchased by Mrs. Gilmore from "Miss Gertie" who lived in Delta Point, Mississippi.
She purchased it about 1942 and had it in her living room at Laurel Crest Continuing Care Retirement Community until moving into a smaller apartment in May 2000.
The brass plant stand was purchased by Mrs. Gilmore in the 1950's and was in her bedroom at Laurel Crest Continuing Care Retirement Community until moving into a smaller apartment in May 2000.
The walnut chest of drawers was a gift to Mr. Marion Gilmore in the 1950's. It was presented to him by the daughter of Mrs. John Lafayette Girardeau. Mrs. Girardeau's husband was pastor of the First Presbyterian Church on Lady Street, Columbia, S.C. Mrs. Girardeau's son was killed in WWI. Girardeau Street in Forest Acres is named in memory of her son. This chest was in Mrs. Gilmore's bedroom prior to her moving into a smaller apartment at Laurel Crest Continuing Care Retirement Community in May 2000.